Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Making the rosette

The Kirk Sand electric classical guitar I've been playing since 1996 doesn't have a sound hole, but my signature model guitar will. For it, I told Kirk I wanted something other than a standard classical guitar rosette (as shown below). 


Rather than marquetry, I suggested a simple Brazilian rosewood ring, to match the rosewood accents on the guitar. Kirk's response (as always) was "I can do that!" As you will see, "a simple Brazilian rosewood ring" is not such a simple process.

First, Kirk carefully drew the pattern onto the template with a compass.


Then, he glued up two lengths of Brazilian rosewood.


Ready to go.


Using a Dremel tool to cut the ring. Notice the dowel to guide the Dremel.


First one is finished.


Both done. (Remember, Kirk is making two guitars- my personal guitar and the first order.)


The rosewood ring will be double bound in black, white, and red.


Bound and finished.


Checking against the template before cutting a channel for the ring.


Ready to go. Notice the razor blade and the serial number of the guitar penciled on the top.


Ring inlaid into the top. Perfection!


Soundhole cut out. Notice the top is not yet cut to the template.


Both rings done.


Next time: finishing the top!

-Craig



No comments:

Post a Comment