Friday, June 21, 2013

Routing for binding

With the box completed, Kirk turns his attention to the binding. "I love binding when I am in the mood or groove for it," he says. "I am really into this one- it will be fun!"

First, routing for the back and side binding.


A careful pass around the entire body creates a channel for the binding.


I told Kirk I wanted red in the binding. My first Kirk Sand guitar has green trim in the Indian rosewood binding, so I wanted something a little different. (I also thought it would look nice against the lighter colored cypress.)  Kirk suggested a black/white/red scheme, bound with Brazilian rosewood to match the soundhole ring. Below are the binding strips, ready for gluing.


You can see how the binding matches the wedge on the back of the guitar.


Another view.


And another.


Both guitars bound.


A view of the access panel.


And a closeup. Says Kirk: "This was fun! I like this cypress/rosewood combo. It's new to me, so it's fresh and exciting."


Next time- binding the top!

-Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment