Saturday, July 13, 2013

Making the bridge

While the first coat of lacquer is drying, Kirk turns his attention to the bridge . . .

"Any ideas on the shape?" he asked me. My ideas were something along the lines of John Knowles' bridge, but with swept wings to echo the angled fingerboard and heel, and the Brazilian rosewood wedge on the back. "I'll think on it," said Kirk. "The ends of the wings can be traditional square flat on the ends. I curved John's in a little. I'll play with curving the ends the opposite way."

Here's John's bridge:


And here's the rough drawing I sent to Kirk:


A couple of days later, I heard from Kirk. "It came to me in one second today. What do you think?"


"It is similar to John's, but not the same. It has the straight ends like your drawing. It mimics the other lines on the guitar too!" (That's the Prismatone pickup next to the Brazilian rosewood bridge blank.)


I gave Kirk the go ahead, and he went to work. First, he created an inlay for the tie block, using the same scheme as the soundhole ring and binding.


The finished inlay, ready to install . . .


. . . and a closer view.


Done! The tray will receive the Prismatone pickup.


Now, Kirk lacquers the bridge . . .



. . . and sets it aside to dry.


Next time- buffing and sanding the finish!

-Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment